The Benefit of Believing
Psalm 103:1-5 (KJV)
Satisfied v. 5
Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
I read a news story once of a woman who was getting ready to jump off a 44 story building in New York City. Witnesses said that she did not look like the type of person who would do such a thing. She was very distinguished and well dressed.
All the attempts made by the police to get the woman off the ledge had failed.
One of the officers asked if he could call his pastor in to see if he could help. When the pastor arrived, he asked permission to go to the ledge and talk to the woman.
As the pastor neared the edge the woman screamed, “Don’t come any closer or I’ll jump!” The pastor took a step back and then said, “I am sorry that you believe no one loves you.” This got the woman’s attention and it got the attention of the police. That was something that you don’t usually say to a person who is threatening suicide.
The woman took a step towards the pastor and said, “My grandchildren love me and so does my children. My whole family loves me! I have 8 wonderful grandchildren and they love me.” The pastor took a step towards the woman and said, “Well then, you must be very poor, maybe that is why you want to take your own life.”
The woman who was a little overweight said, “Do I look like I go without any meals? We live in a very nice apartment. I’m not poor.” The pastor took another step closer to her and was now 3 feet from her when he asked, “Then why do you want to kill yourself? I don’t understand.”
The woman thought for a moment and then said, “You know, I don’t really remember.” The story ends with the pastor and the woman walking towards the elevator as she shows him pictures of her grandchildren. Eventually this woman becomes a volunteer on the city’s suicide hotline, helping others choose life.
- What did the pastor do to help this woman?
- He helped her get her eyes off herself and onto the many ways that God had blessed her with
- She learned a valuable lesson that day.
- She learned that thankful people are happy people.
- If you don’t learn anything else today, I hope you learn this valuable lesson.
- Thankful people are happy people.
Today we will see there are 5 blessings we can be thankful to God for:
1. He forgives our sins
2. He heals us from our diseases
3. He redeems our life
4. He crowns us with love and compassion
5. He satisfies our desires with good things.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul:
- Bless = kneel down, to be or go to a stance in which one is on the knees as contrasted with standing on the feet, with the back straight or bent (2Ch 6:13; Ps 95:6+), note: in context this position can be a position of worship or humility;
- I come & bow down in humility to worship
- As we grow and mature our sense of awe & respect for the Lord will be evident
- David was a man after God’s own heart
- He was a King
- He was a warrior
- He was also a man that fell into sin
- He had been humbled & demonstrated humility
- Because he knew where God had brought him from
- And what God had forgiven him off
- Lord of my soul
- Why is David so thankful
- Because of #1 his Lord
- Why are there so many unthankful people
- Because they have the wrong Lord
- What was he Lord of
- His soul
- The Bibles say we are to give thanks for everything
- But listen
- David wasn’t bowing down in gratitude for his
- Chariot, robe or castle
- Car, clothes of home
- FIRST & FOREMOST
- For his soul
- Our worship of God is not about things or music
- It is because He not only feels our soul
- He owns it
- And all that is within me,
- If the Lord has our soul
- He has to have all
- Our heart = love, joy, happiness, peace
- Our mind = our thoughts should be His thoughts, how we talk, what we feed on, how we handle problems
- Our talent = What God has given you should be used to bring honor to HIM
- Bless his holy name.
- Worship and honor His name
- When we come to Christ we are now His
- He uses us to reveal Himself to others
- So as His ambassadors we should be willing to be a blessing
- We are a blessing by representing what is Holy
- Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
- Often we only remember one benefit to coming to Christ
- However heaven doesn’t help us much in daily living
- So what are some of the benefits
- Fellowship with God and believers
- Who forgiveth all thine iniquities;
- All = Past, Present & Future
- However that grace & mercy does not mean we willfully sin
- Our forgiveness should give us a desire to grow closer
- To have a healthy relationship with God
- A desire to follow Him
- Serve Him
- Share Him
- Iniquities= Is a strong word
- It does not mean mistakes
“It is sin which is wickedness and has the liability or guilt which by judicial sentence demands punishment”
- The blood of Jesus covered those sins
- We are forgiven
- However as I have learned they will be brought up
- Not by God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit
- But the devil and those that he uses
- I can not get away from my past
- Whenever as a Christian & pastor I do things others that disagree with me
- Who knew me years ago basically say “You’ve not changed or I knew you would act like this”
- Folks that is the devil
The Devil does not go to God with lies about you and I, remember he is the accuser. The Devil actually tells the truth about you and I. He does not have to embellish about what we have done. However it make no difference, truth or lie because we have an advocate in Jesus that has covered all of our sins that says to the Father, “I have no recollection of what he is saying because my blood cover all of the sins of those that have believed on me.
- Who healeth all thy diseases;
- Some would use this verse to support “faith healing”
- Others say it refers to the kingdom age when there will be no disease
- However keep it in context
- The disease of sin that results in death
- Have you ever been really sick?
- I mean that “Oh Lord just take me now sick”
- When you were healed you knew you were better
- The problem with most that do not know the Lord is this
- They don’t know they are sick
- And they appear as healthy as most Christians
- The Lord healed us of a terrible disease SIN
- So let me ask this
- Why would we want to continue to live as if we are SICK
- When I feel good I’m happy, active on the go
- When I’m sick
- WELL I make others sick
- We have been healed
- Let’s live like it
- Who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
- Destruction can also be translated pit
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
- However I like the KJV translation
- Not only was I redeemed from going to the destruction of hell
- But HE redeemed my life here
- It was a destructive life
- Often I am asked why I preach against certain thing
- Because I know where they lead
- Our church is filled with folks that have been rescued
- You know what God saved you from
- So here is my question
- If you are truly thankful
- You should be reaching out to others
- Because you know where it leads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
- We like award
- From T Ball to Rodeo Saddles
- Everyone wants a prize
- But the prize God gives is better
- Because it effects those around you
- Show me someone that does not love people
- I’ll show you someone that does not know the Lord……
- We as Christians have been given love & mercy
- Thus we are to show it
Did you hear about the pitiful man whose fiancé broke their engagement and shredded his tender heart? He later received a letter of apology and desire for reconciliation. It read:
No words could ever express the great unhappiness I’ve felt since breaking our engagement. Please say you’ll take me back. No one could ever take your place in my heart, so please forgive me. I love you, I love you, I love you!
Yours forever, Marie. PS: Congratulations on winning the state lottery!
- We have something far greater than a lottery
- Something that is won by chance
- We have the free gift from God
- Redemption through His Son
- If that is not enough to praise Him
- Thank Him
- Bless Him
- Then I don’t know what is
- Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things;
- If you want to know what people love
- Listen to what they talk about
- Because we have been redeemed
- We should talk about good things
- So that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
- Like an eagle that remains strong throughout its long life, the psalmist was spiritually vigorous under God’s hand
- We are to remain strong in the Lord
- To often we are an eagle one week
- And a buzzard the next
- We are unsatisfied with the one thing that does satisfy
“The condition & attitude in which you enter church with is your choice, the condition & attitude you leave church with is your choice as well. Pastor Brad
Security Cameras It’s a shame people will try to rob you of things that will not last when we will freely give them the one thing that will. Pastor Brad
- What are you seeking here today
In his latest book, Jumping Hurdles, Hitting Glitches, Overcoming Setbacks, Steve Brown writes,
“The most unhappy person in the world is not someone who didn’t get what he or she wanted. The most unhappy person is the one who got what he or she wanted and then found out that it wasn’t as wonderful as expected.
The secret of a happy life is not to get what you want but to live with what you’ve got. Most of us spend our lives concentrating on what we don’t have instead of thanking God for what we do have. Then we wake up, our life is over, and we missed the beauty of the present. You think about that.”
- Do you have the benefit of believing
- What has it done for you
- Are others seeing your blessing
- Are you sharing it